THIRTY ONE/THIRTY

• Sunday 19 August 2012


Yesterday was my birthday. I celebrated with a simple breakfast with my amazing husband, followed by a spontaneous lunch with friends and finally a simple dinner with my family. The day was garnished with many sweet birthday messages, gifts and delicious food. I am grateful.

I deliberately let 31 arrive tenderly and delicately without any forward planning or contemplation.

Last year, I was immoderately slightly anxious about turning 30. Up until a few days before my birthday, I actually had never really thought much about turning 30. On some level I must have believed it would pass over me without agitation.

Then, it just crept up and arrived suddenly like an unexpected distant relative that arrives at your door declaring boldly, "I'm here!" If you like surprises this may not make you uncomfortable, but for me when anyone arrives at the door unexpectedly I instantly wonder if I am wearing a bra, or if I remembered to pack down Operation Occupy The Living Room With Laundry.

So it was the same, I wondered if I was prepared for turning 30. Or, would I just meet 30 at the door, braless? 

Was I going to be able to adjust to the new conditions that being 30 might bring? Specifically, would I be able to cope with the permanent cellulite that inevitably would become affixed to my thighs when the clock struck twelve, signalling permanent dimples? Had I done enough with my life to pass an invisible, self-administered life exam? Did I have it 'all together', with the word 'all' remaining aptly undefined.

Ridiculous, yes? After a couple of hours on the merri-go-round of anxiety, I decided it was ridiculous. 

Turning 30 was going to get a meaning make-over. I declared war on self pity and fear and decided to think of thirty as a time to celebrate my achievements and the many blessings I had, especially the many wonderful relationships in my life. I decided turning 30 was a time to pause and enjoy the moment, give thanks for all that I have and to share this joy and gratitude with my nearest and dearest. I also really wanted cake.

So I planned a celebration.

As any good planner would do, I trawled the internet for the perfect venue to host an afternoon filled with merriment and delight. I fortuitously found that I had many years ago bookmarked Interior Stylist, Lyn Gardiner's spectacular home and I prayed aloud that she would agree to rent me her home- where she actually lives- for an afternoon. 

She said yes! 

Like a man on one knee who just received a resounding 'yes!',  I jumped, squealed and cartwheeled across my living room. Then I went into a room and did not emerge until I had every last detail planned. I channeled my inner Martha Stewart and added a sprinkle of my best Party Planner-zilla. It is actually amazing what the words, 'Lyn Gardiner's home' + 'yes' + 'party' can do to a girl's cognition.

I planned an afternoon for 50 of my nearest and dearest. I wanted the event to delight and show gratitude to my family and friends. I imagined the celebration to be whimsical, filled with mirth and a chance for all my guests to escape for an afternoon. I will let the images tell you the story, but I will say it was all those things and more. I was super spoilt to have a wonderful celebration with my most precious people for one whole afternoon against an amazing backdrop. 

If you erase my small and short lived Pity Party, turning 30 was a real joy for me, as was turning 31. 

THE INVITATIONS

I designed the invitations myself and had the design printed on white balloons which I tied with twine to a card noting the theme: Pearls and Bow Ties. With the balloon I added a Polaroid image of me holding a white balloon in the Melbourne CBD. Big thanks to my beautiful husband who indulged my idea to dress up and gallivant around Melbourne with a big white balloon. He took some fabulous pictures of which I chose four different ones for my invitations. All the elements were placed together in a clear pocket that I sewed shut with this printed quote:


"In the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter and the sharing of pleasures."
Khalil Gibran

Balloons printed by Speciality Balloons.

LYN GARDINER'S HOME

Lyn Gardiner's home is as pretty and unapologetically feminine as she is. She really is gorgeous inside and out, as is every last detail of her beautiful home. Every element of her home is styled to perfection and from the minute you step through the front door, you feel transported to another time and place. Thank you so much Lyn for allowing me into your home, with 50 of my friends!
To read about Lyn and see more images of her home, The Design Files has covered her home here.

THE FOOD + DRINKS

Savoury

I designed the menu based on afternoon tea and included both savoury and sweet elements. Lyn's rustic kitchen bench top served as my savoury food set up station and as you will see below I presented the food on three very large rustic bread boards and in provincial white baskets that I purchased and painted myself. The bench top was styled simply with small vases and white flowers.

The menu included:

  • A Cheese Platter including Calandar Vintage Cheddar, Insigny Brie, Fourme d'amber tunnel ripened AOP Blue, Quince Paste, Lavosh Crackers, Grapes and Grissini Sticks
  • A Bread Basket
  • A Mediterranean Antipasto Platter including Sopressa Salami and Serrano Jamon Prosciutto wrapped in grissini sticks, Kalamata olives, bocconcini, artichokes, semi-dried tomatoes, Sicilian olives, dolmades, Danish feta cheese, skinless peppers, grilled eggplant, pepperdews stuffed with feta and garnished with fresh basil
  • Mini grissini sticks wrapped in Serrano Prosciutto and placed in a pepperdew stuffed with feta and garnished with chives
  • Savoury biscuit boats with rare roast beef, semi-dried tomato and garnished with caramelised onion
  • Pastry shells with d'Affinois cheese, dill, smoked salmon and topped with salted capers
  • Vegetarian frittatas topped with beetroot relish
  • Toothpicks skewered with bocconcini, tomato, basil and a pizette base
  • Baby sandwiches of roast chicken, mayonnaise and chives 
  • Baby sandwiches filled with Cucumber, Mint and Cream Cheese 
  • Baby sesame seed bagels filled with Tasmanian smoked salmon, crème fraiche, dill and tiny Lilliput capers
  • Baby baguettes filled with gypsy ham, gruyere and honey mustard
  • Baby ciabattas filled with smashed egg and crème fraiche 
  • Mini herb and vegetable quiches

Sweet

I unleashed my creative side with the dessert table, opting to use Lyn's very large recycled white dining table as a backdrop. With the cake as a centre point and elevated on a children's stool that I purchased on eBay and painted white, I styled all the other desserts around it on various crystal cake stands. For the weeks leading up to the party I scoured thrift stores for crystal dessert wine glasses and managed to collect 50 of them to house the upside down cheesecakes I made.

The menu included:

  • The Cake, which was a Marbled Blondie Duo flavoured mud cake, covered in white icing and topped with a peach balloon. 
  • Mini 'upside down' cheesecakes garnished with white chocolate swirls
  • White chocolate coated strawberries
  • White chocolate coated profiteroles
  • Scones with jam and cream
  • Berry tarts that were sweet pastry filled with rich vanilla cream and topped with strawberries and blueberries
  • Lychee and marshmallow flavoured macarons


Drinks

I served traditional Pimm's as well as a selection of San Pellegrino drinks. Of course no afternoon tea would be complete without tea (and coffee) so I set up a small tea trolley with hot water and a selection of teas and coffee.

Details

Mini ciabatta bread, baguettes, pizettes, mini sandwich bread and the berry tarts were from Egg Unlimited and filled by my three gorgeous girlfriends.
Mediterranean Antipasto Platter and Canapes from Thomas Dux Grocers.
Mini Bagels from The Huff Bagelry.
Quiches were made by my gorgeous sister.
Bread boards were hired from The Design Depot.
White Baskets were purchased from Provincial Home Living.
Vintage forks, knives and spoons were hired from Lyn Gardiner.
The cake was made by Sweet By Nature.
Macaroons were made by Erica
Drinking Glasses and White Chairs (not pictures) were hired from Dann Event Hire.
Flowers were purchased from Flowers Vasette.
All labels and signs were designed and crafted by me.
Jars, vases and other styling elements are all owned and styled by me.
Cake stands, dessert plates, tea pots and tea cups are all owned by me.
Photography by John Mina + Marc Mikhail.


THE CELEBRATIONS


THE PHOTO BOOTH
Here is some more of the fun:
Details

Video was created by me.
Photo booth set up using a Nikon DL60 and a 'clicker'.
Moustaches and glasses ordered from Little Retreats on Etsy.
Hat hired from Rose Chong's Costumes.
Blackboard, pearls and bow ties, all owned by me.

OTHER DETAILS

A Gift
To show my gratitude to those who attended, I put together a small thank you gift: a small jar with a note sewn into the lid and filled with pearl chocolates.

Polariods + Other Crafts

In line with the invitations, I printed some Polaroid images of myself and images of my friends and family and scattered them around the house.

 I crafted these sweet doily umbrellas to be served in the Pimm's drinks, as well as all the doily signage.
That's a wrap!

I would love to know how you felt about turning 30 and how you commiserated/celebrated?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

8:18 All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger